Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thing 7 - And more tools

Email: Does it improve productivity at work? It depends. Sometimes, I get a lot accomplished working with email at work; at other times, email sucks up a lot of time, especially when slogging through library related listservs. I dropped high activity level listserv because the volume of email was overwhelming. Still, the use of email at work can be productive, especially when you know that someone you really need to contact responds best via email.

IM: I love IM! I use it at work everyday. In our building, we have staff offices on both sides of the main level. It saves a lot of time to be able to text a quick query to a colleague on the other side. One of my colleagues is working on the 23 Things. I used IM to see if she had signed up yet; she had not, but she did that a short while after I sent the message. Another colleague, who sits on the other side of my cube wall will tell me about a certain web site and then paste the URL into the IM window so I can see what he is trying to explain.

I have already blogged about Meebo in an earlier posting. If I could be granted one wish for our library, I would wish for Meebo!

I have used Google Talk with the family. It is easy to use, but I wish more people I know would use this tool.

Web Conferencing, OPAL, and MINITEX webinars: I am a member of a MnLINK committee that uses web conferencing software for meetings and I have attended MINITEX webinars. I've also enjoyed the convenience of listening to an archived webinar when I was unable to attend "in person". Until I worked on Thing 7, I had never heard of OPAL. After I listened to Tom Peters podcast, I looked at the OPAL schedule. I see a couple of OPAL sessions that interest me and I'm going to mark these on my calendar.


No comments: